Dr. Kefa Osolo Nyende
Chairman, Department of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences
This department is guided by the ideology that all over the world, agriculture and veterinary services form the bedrock of food security and livelihoods. Our department therefore has set itself on a roadmap to grow into a world leading school of Agriculture and Veterinary Science. A five acre farm has been acquired in Sirisia to host practical demonstrations in crops, livestock and environmental conservation. Furthermore the department has set aside a student-managed crops demonstration unit at the main campus with two greenhouses and about two acre outdoor plots. This unit also produces high value crops for sale.
Three course programmes are hosted at the Department namely: BSc. Agriculture Economics and Resource management, BSc Agriculture and Biotechnology, BSc. Agriculture Education and Extension. Student enrolment for programmes in the Department stands at 2015 with 95 in second year and 120 in first year. The Department consists of six academic staff of whom one is a professor.
This department will be guided by the following objectives:
- To provide quality training in veterinary and agricultural science through excellent teaching and practical engagements
- To engage in quality research programmes for knowledge and technology generation towards sustainable livelihoods and food security levels
- To promote knowledge and technology through development of sustainable veterinary and agriculture technologies
- To disseminate agricultural production and extension technologies to stakeholders in Kenya and beyond
- To identify, attract and network with stakeholders in agriculture and veterinary service provision over emerging issues through timely outreach and linkage interventions
- To distribute essential veterinary and agriculture technologies through academic forums, publicity and publications
Department of Agriculture and veterinary Sciences
P.O. Box 1699—50200
BUNGOMA – KENYA
Telephone Number: 0202028660/0708085934
Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation in Netherlands donates materials (papers, Compact disc, USB sticks, booklets and pens) to Kibabii University. The memory sticks were given to the best female and male students of Agriculture and the booklets and papers were handed over to the University Library. The materials will strengthen Kibabii University’s capacity on Agricultural training through increased access to up-to date information in agriculture. In-attendance were Prof. Odeo Vice Chancellor, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mutua, PhD, Rer. Nat. DVC (Planning, Partnerships, Research and Innovation), Dr. Kefa Osolo Nyende Chairman Department of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences and Mr. Joshua Ilavonga In-Charge Library.
The Faculty of science was honoured to have three of it’s members graduate with PHDs. In the most recent graduation Ceremonies,Dr.Kefa Osolo Nyende and Dr.Jared Odhiambo Oloo qualified for the award of this prestigeous Degrees at Masinde Muliro University of Science and technology while Dr.John Makokha Wanjala was awarded at the University of Nairobi. Dr.Kefa Nyende is a lecturer and Chair, Department of Agriculture and Veterinery Sciences while Dr.Jared Oloo is Heads Department of Science,Technology and Engineering.Dr.John Wanjala doubles up as Lecturer and examination Officer.The Faculty wishes them well in their endeavours.